I was raised as a vegetarian, and “Haystacks” were a very common dish. Basically, haystacks are a modern day taco salad. As with ANY salad, it’s the ingredients that you use that either “make” or “break” the dish as healthy.
My “Unconventional” Haystacks have been given my typical Unconventional Foodie makeover and are just as delicious and WAY healthier than the traditional version that I was raised with.
Want to take it a step further? Easy peasy, substitute the cheese, sour cream and/or ranch dressing for vegan versions.
The healthier way to do haystacks (Taco Salad)
- 2 15oz cans pinto beans (reduced sodium)
- 4 C organic green leaf lettuce (chopped)
- 1 medium red onion (diced)
- 1 organic tomato (diced)
- 1 C mexican blend cheese (grated)
- 1 C black olives (sliced)
- 1/3 C plain Greek yogurt
- 8 organic corn tortillas
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 organic avocado (diced)
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.