Shrimp with Garlic Sauce
Now, your favorite Chinese take-out food, made simple and delicious!
If you’re like me, you really enjoy Chinese food, and one of my all-time favorites is Shrimp with Garlic Sauce. But, pretty much any meat (chicken, pork or shrimp) will do.
This shrimp with garlic sauce recipe is just spicy enough to provide lots of flavor without burning every one of your taste buds so you can’t taste anything else for 4 hours…lol!
However, that being said, who really knows what ingredients are in your favorite Chinese dishes. For sure there’s tons of sodium, WAY more sugar than I can even imagine, and probably some other stuff that I don’t even want to think about.
So today, I’m reworking this family favorite to make sure that it tastes delicious and keeps us on track with our healthy lifestyle!
When researching this recipe, I found that most shrimp with garlic sauce recipes start out by dredging the shrimp in cornstarch and then deep frying it. Really? What’s wrong with just stir-fry? That’s really healthy, so that’s where I’ve started with my re-work. Now if I could only figure out a healthy re-work for cream cheese won-ton!
Don’t like shellfish or are allergic? No problem, you can easily substitute 2 pounds of diced chicken, turkey or beef.
This recipe is the day four (4) dinner main dish recipe of my 7-Day Meal Plan program. I created the program because after researching the meal plan program provided by a recognized authority on diabetes, I was appalled at the ingredients and nutrition values.
If you’re frustrated with your current results in trying to lose weight or control your blood sugar, click the button below to receive this essential program!
Here's to your health!
PS: If you’re totally frustrated with the effects of your efforts to create and maintain a healthier diet and lifestyle,I feel ya for sure, let’s chat! What if just one discussion could change your life? I love to share what I know and help as many people as possible. You can contact me here: LET’S CHAT!
PSS: Ready for a jump start to your healthier diet and lifestyle? CLICK HERE to join the club!
Shrimp with Garlic Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tablespoon ginger fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 C vegetable broth low-sodium
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil divided
- 18 shrimp raw
- 1/2 onion medium, sliced
- 3 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 4 shitake mushrooms
- 2 C broccoli florets blanched
- 1 water chestnuts 8 oz can, drained
- 1 bamboo shoots 8 oz can, drained
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, vegetable broth and cornstarch. Set aside
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Blanch broccoli florets for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove broccoli from pot and add to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp and stir fry until they just start to turn pink (about 3 minutes). Remove from pan.
- Add remaining sesame oil to pan. Add bell pepper and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the onions, garlic, ginger and mushrooms. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in the prepared sauce and cook until the sauce thickens (about 1 minute).
- Stir in the broccoli, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and shrimp and cook for about 1 minute more.
- Serve alone or over brown rice.