My recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, is probably the absolute BEST I’ve ever had! The addition of the Chipotle pepper adds just enough of a kick! (But you can skip it if you wish).
When you’re on a diet, craving a snack is sometimes one of the things that leads you astray. Enter…
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus!
But, here’s the thing, you don’t just have to use roasted red pepper. You can omit it and just make plain ole hummus, which is totally yummy, or you could substitute regular garlic for roasted garlic! You can also put in avocado or sun dried tomatoes, this list is pretty much endless, get creative, let your taste buds rule!
You also don’t have to limit hummus to being just a terrific healthy snack. You can use it as a spread on sandwich’s too, and at just 27 calories per tablespoon, is a whole heck of a lot easier on the waistline than using mayo!
As it turns out, hummus is not just a yummy dish, but it’s also really healthy for you as well.
I was just reading an article in the Huffington Post that talks about 10 different reasons why hummus is so good. Still not convinced? I found this article, 15 Health Benefits of Hummus, According to Science (+8 Delicious Hummus Recipes) that has, yep, you guessed it, fifteen (15) additional reasons why hummus is so good for you, plus another eight (8) yummy hummus recipes you can try.
For me, probably the one that stood out the most, is that because it is part of a Mediterranean diet, (which you may have guessed is my lifestyle diet of choice) according to a study in the New England Journal of Medicine about 30 percent of heart attacks, strokes and deaths from heart disease could be prevented in people at high risk if they switched to a Mediterranean diet which is rich in olive oil, nuts, beans, fish, fruits and vegetables.
Okay, let’s get back to making this hummus already!
What I found out is that it totally matters how you actually prepare the hummus, so in order to end up with a totally creamy and delicious product, make sure to follow the steps in the instructions.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- 2 organic garbanzo beans 15 oz cans, or 3 cups
- 1/2 C Tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons juiced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 roasted red pepper large
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper ground
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Drain and rinse garbanzo beans. Set aside.
- Add Tahini and lemon juice to food processor and process for 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides and process again for another 30 seconds. This is the most crucial step to ending up with a really creamy finish.
- Scrape down sides again, add olive oil, garlic, roasted red pepper, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper and process for about 1 minute
- Scrape down sides again, add 1/2 of the garbanzo beans and process for about 30-45 seconds.
- Add the remaining garbanzo beans and process until smooth, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Taste the hummus and adjust salt to taste. It may also be a little thick. You can add water about 1 teaspoon at a time until you get your desired consistency. (The hummus will thicken when it is chilled, but not a lot)
- Substitute the regular garlic for roasted garlic...yummy!
- Omit the chipotle pepper to eliminate the spiciness
This recipe can also be found on page 11 of my cookbook, Healthy Holidays with the Unconventional Foodie. It’s just one of 52 deliciously healthy recipes that are diabetic friendly, heart healthy, lots of them are even gluten-free and vegan! There’s something for everyone! After all, EVERY day is a holiday! Pick up your copy HERE.
I’m so totally loving this roasted red pepper hummus recipe and I’m super anxious to hear what you think about it. Also, what other variations do you think you’ll try? Let me know!
If this post was helpful to you, let’s help some more people! Feel free to share this with anyone who might enjoy it and also comment below what you liked the best.
Here's to your health!
PS: If you’re totally frustrated with the effects of your efforts to create and maintain a healthier diet and lifestyle,I feel ya for sure, let’s chat! What if just one discussion could change your life? I love to share what I know and help as many people as possible. You can contact me here: LET’S CHAT!
PSS: Ready for a jump start to your healthier diet and lifestyle? CLICK HERE to join the club!