Brussel sprouts are one of those veggies that you either love or you hate. I admit, they do have a taste all their own, which is why most people don’t care for them. What I will say in their defense however, is that roasting them brings on a whole new flavor sensation that is absolutely delicious! In fact, roasted brussel sprouts are just one of the veggies that I like best when they’re roasted. Another one being beets.
There are also plenty of health and nutrition reasons to add brussel sprouts to your diet. One of these amazing benefits is that they contain an antioxidant known as alpha-lipoic acid, which has been shown to lower glucose levels. These compounds can increase insulin sensitivity and prevent prediabetes from turning into diabetes, and can also help reduce complications for those with existing diabetes by managing blood glucose and preventing further oxidative stress or inflammation.
This delish recipe is found on page 46 of my recently published cookbook, Healthy Holidays with the Unconventional Foodie. It is one of 52 amazing, full-color recipes that you are sure to LOVE! You can pick up the book HERE.
Don’t miss out on all the yummy goodness found in Healthy Holidays with the Unconventional Foodie cookbook! After all,…EVERY day is a holiday!
Also, make sure you join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.
Here's to your health!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb fresh brussel sprouts trimmed and sliced in half
- 1 apple cored and diced
- 1/2 C pecan halves
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Trim and cut brussel sprouts in half. Core and dice apple and place on parchment lined baking sheet
- Pour olive oil salt and pepper over brussel sprouts and apple and toss to fully coat
- Roast for 10 minutes, remove from oven, stir in cranberries and pecan halves. Return to oven and roast for an additional 5-10 minutes until brussel sprouts are toasty and the apples have softened,
- Serve immediately