Roasted Apple Butter
If you thought that apple butter was not part of a healthy eating lifestyle, think again! Remember, it’s all about the ingredients!
Few flavors say fall better than cinnamon and apples, and apple butter is a delicious and healthy combination of both! Warm and spicy, it’s the perfect topping for your nut butter whole grain toast, a delicious addition to your morning bowl of yogurt or heck, just eaten right off the spoon!
While traditional apple butter is made with loads of sugar and also the use of apple cider, both of which add way to much added sugar to the equation, this recipe delivers all the flavor and none of those added sugars.
You see, apples are naturally sweet, full of fiber, very high in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients, which make them almost the perfect fruit.
It is because of the apples’ natural sweetness, that we don’t need any additional sugars to create this delicious roasted apple butter!
Another thing that sets this apple butter apart is the inclusion of the skins. We all probably know that it is the skin that contains the most nutrients, so we’re not skipping ANY of that!
I’m so proud to offer you this delicious roasted apple butter and can’t wait for your feedback!
Roasted Apple Butter
- 5 pounds organic apples cored and quartered
- 2 C water
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- kosher salt pinch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel, core and quarter apples
- Arrange apples in large roasting pan, add spices and water and stir to combine
- Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 degrees
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash apples and stir to combine. Add a little more water if they are getting too dry.
- Continue roasting for approximately 1 to 2 hours, until a deep brown color
- Allow apple butter to cool, then transfer to blender or food processor and process until smooth
- Transfer to airtight container
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.