Fall is my absolutely FAVORITE time of year! I absolutely adore the nice warm days, the cool evenings, the gorgeous deep blue skies. And then of course, there are all the luscious scents and flavors. There’s really something magical that happens when you combine cinnamon and pumpkin. Am I right? Who’s with me?
This recipe hits all the hot buttons! Cinnamon, pumpkin, chocolate! Whoah! Did someone say chocolate?! Yummy!!!
The best part is that they are also very healthy and could be used with a protein shake as a great grab-and-go breakfast! No, they are not gluten free, however, you could absolutely substitute the spelt flour for a gluten free alternative. When I make them again, I will use almond flour. I will definitely need to adjust the amount of liquid used, but they should absolutely work out just fine. Stay tuned, I’ll come back to update this post with the information.
If you get to it before I do, please make sure you come back and leave me some comments on how they turned out and what you used to make them gluten free.
- 1 C spelt flour , or organic whole wheat
- 1/2 C almond flour
- 1/2 C coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 15oz organic pumpkin puree
- 2 organic pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 C coconut oil , melted
- 1/4 C walnuts , chopped fine (optional)
- 1/3 C organic dark chocolate chips , optional
- 1/4 C pumpkin seeds , optional
- 1/4 C unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare muffin tin by lining with cupcake papers and lightly spraying with cooking spray
- In medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients, whisking to thoroughly combine
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until smooth and creamy
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine
- Fold in nuts, chocolate chips and pumpkin seeds
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 25-35 minutes. Until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Allow to fully cool in pan
- Will keep at room temperature for 2 days or freeze for 3 months.
I took some of the delicious muffins to my chiropractor and he said they were superb!!! I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do and would LOVE to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.