Being a pasta lover, when we adopted a healthier eating lifestyle, one of the hardest things to give up was pasta, white rice and potatoes. The struggle is REAL! I get it.
However, limiting your carbs, doesn’t mean you eliminate them. I have said many times, that not all carbs are created equal. After all, your body NEEDS carbs to produce energy. The trick is to use whole grains what provide a multitude of nutrients to your body.
Quinoa is a terrific whole grain, actually an ancient grain, that will do exactly that! Whole grains will actually slow down your digestion process which means a slower release of glucose into your bloodstream, and therefore, regulating your blood sugars.
Quinoa is not actually a grain, but a seed and contains all the essential amino acids and nutrients and is therefore also considered a “complete” protein, so win win on the complex carbohydrate front
The other shining star in this recipe is the use of turmeric as the primary spice.
Turmeric has long been touted as a “wonder” spice because of it’s many medicinal uses and the amazing nutritional benefits that it has.
This particular recipe is a Mediterranean flavor explosion and is the perfect side dish accompaniment to pretty much any other protein.
- 1 C quinoa
- 2 1/2 C water
- 1 onion medium, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP fresh cilantro optional
- Prepare quinoa by measuring 1 cup of dry quinoa, place in a sieve colander and rinse.
- Add quinoa, 2 1/2 cups of water and spices to saucepan. Stir to combine well. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to simmer. Cook until all liquid is absorbed (about 15-20 minutes)
- Meanwhile, chop vegetables. Heat oil in skillet and saute vegetables until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
- When quinoa is cooked, add to skillet and stir to combine. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.