Nothing tastes more like home than a steaming bowl of soup. This delicious vegan lentil soup will soothe your soul, fill you up and give you energy for hours.
We love soup, and lentil soup is one of our favorites. Traditionally, I used to put some ditalini pasta in my lentil soup, however, since adopting our new healhy eating lifestyle, I had to come up with a hearty substitute for the pasta that would be just as delish.
In this soup, barley fits the bill perfectly! In addition to it being a chewy addition to the smooth creaminess of the lentils, barley also adds boatloads of nutrients.
One other thing I’d like to mention is that for those of us who are also trying to control and stabilize our blood sugars, counting carbs has become somewhat of an obsession. Here’s my take on that. My feeling is that carbs is not the most important ingredient to count. I believe that fiber is the most important.
Here’s why. If I am eating a fiber rich diet that is between 25 and 40 grams of fiber daily, I will be getting the vitamins, minerals and micro nutrients that my body needs for healing and vibrant health. The reason for that is that pretty much all veggies, beans, fruit and whole grains contain carbs. The difference is the type of carbs. And, since you can subtract the fiber number from the carb number of a food source, you wind up with way fewer carbs than you think. Besides, my body needs carbohydrates for energy.
I sure hope that you’ll give this delicious soup a try!
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 onion diced
- red pepper flakes pinch to taste (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 28oz diced tomatos
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 C barley soaked
- 1 C lentils soaked
- 4 C beef broth
- 2 C water
- 1 TBSP lemon juice fresh squeezed
For Lentils & Barley
- Measure 1 cup of dry lentils into large measuring cup. Cover with 2-3 cups of water. Soak 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse
- Measure 1/4 cup of barley in measuring cup and cover with 1-2 cups of water. Soak for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse
For The Soup
- Dice onion, carrot and garlic
- In large (5 qt) soup pot, heat olive oil, add onion, carrot and red pepper flakes to pot and saute until onions are translucent (approximately 5 minutes). Add garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant (about 1 minute)
- Add diced tomatoes and spices and continue to saute until tomatoes are simmering and fragrant (about 3 minutes)
- Add lentils, barley broth and water, bring to a boil then lower heat, cover and simmer for approximately 20-30 minutes (until lentils are soft)
- Remove 2 cups of soup and transfer to blender. Blend until smooth (about 10-15 seconds), then return to the pot. Stir and continue to simmer for approximately 5-10 more minutes
- Add juice of 1/2 of a lemon, stir and serve.
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.