Healthy Mac & Cheese
Nothing says comfort more than macaroni and cheese. At least to me anyway…..well, I guess pretty much any kinda pasta speaks to my comfort, but that’s just me.
However, my traditional way of making macaroni and cheese was an artery clogging, waistline expanding carb and fat overload. That’s because traditional mac & cheese weighs in at around 460 calories, 23 grams of fat (13 of them saturated), 83mg of cholesterol, 42 grams of carbohydrates and almost no fiber.
That’s why I just HAD to figure out a way to satisfy my comfort food cravings while still maintaining my healthy diet.
Enter, this deliciousness!!! It’s so good, that even my meat and potatoes hubby loved it too. Shhhh…..don’t tell him there’s no cheese in it 🙂
What give it the cheesy flavor you ask? Great question. The ingredient of choice for this is nutritional yeast. It is an ingredient that is readily available at your grocery store and will save you lots of pounds, inches and blood sugar spikes!
Healthy Mac & Cheese
For The Pasta
- 8 oz pasta of choice I used Banza, gluten free
For The Cheese Sauce
- 1 C water
- 1/2 C raw cashews soaked for 2 hours or overnight, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 C nutritional yeast
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp paprika optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 8X8 baking dish.
- Meanwhile, add all cheese sauce ingredients to high speed blender. Begin at low speed and increase to high speed over the course of about 1 minute, then continue processing for approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain pasta and return to pot. Pour cheese sauce over and mix well. Transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika (optional)
- Bake in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Are you in the group yet? Head on over to the Holistic Happy Living Community on Facebook where we’re all about making better food choices and creating better habits.
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.
Here's to your health!
PS: If you’re totally frustrated with the effects of your efforts to create and maintain a healthier diet and lifestyle,I feel ya for sure, let’s chat! What if just one discussion could change your life? I love to share what I know and help as many people as possible. You can contact me here: LET’S CHAT!
PSS: Ready for a jump start to your healthier diet and lifestyle? CLICK HERE to join the club!