Okay, this is a HUGE win for me!!! So many of our favorite holiday meals include canned creamed soups and those famous french fried onions in a can, neither of which certainly have no place in a healthy eating lifestyle, so I set out this year to change all that and make the holidays fun, healthy and delicious.
This recipe is sooooo good that you won’t ever miss those canned onions! They’re super simple to make and really, I like them way better too! Plus, they’re gluten-free, which is another big win!
This delish recipe is also found on page 55 of my recently published cookbook, Healthy Holidays with the Unconventional Foodie. It is one of 52 amazing, full-color recipes that you are sure to LOVE! You can pick up the book HERE.
Don’t miss out on all the yummy goodness found in Healthy Holidays with the Unconventional Foodie cookbook! After all,…EVERY day is a holiday!
Also, make sure you join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.
Healthy French Fried Onions
- 1 medium onion
- 2 C unsweetened almond milk
- 1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1 C almond flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pour milk into a medium bowl, mix in lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Thinly slice onion, separate rings and place in bowl. Stir to make sure all onion pieces are submerged in milk. Let sit in fridge for 1 hour
- Combine almond flour and spices, stir to fully incorporate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Remove onion rings from milk and place in flour mixture. Toss until all onion pieces are covered
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (I used coconut oil)
- Arrange onion slices on baking sheet, spray tops of onions with cooking spray
- Bake until they are turning brown (about 10-15 minutes)
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.