Ok, I absolutely LOVE to make creamy casseroles, the problem is the cream of mushroom soup that you buy in a can at the supermarket is definitely NOT part of a healthy eating lifestyle.
In fact, did you know that just one can of the name brand condensed soup (you know who I mean) has a whopping 1931mg of sodium in it? WHAT?!?!?! And, that’s not even to mention the whole list of preservatives and other questionable ingredients. How crazy is that!!
So, in true “Unconventional Foodie” fashion, I’ve created this absolutely delicious, super easy and budget friendly vegan, gluten-free cream of mushroom soup recipe for you. This soup is so good that Richie dove into it as soon as it was done, so hubby approved. Another win! YAY!!!
YAY!!! I LOVE that I can now create some of my favorite creamy casserole dishes without the guilt. Check out how I used this healthy cream of mushroom soup in my Green Bean Casserole recipe.
The other really fabulous part of this recipe is that you can sub out the mushrooms for ANY ingredient to make cream of anything soup. So, exit mushrooms, enter celery or chicken or asparagus or…..
Healthy Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 C mushrooms chopped
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 C vegetable broth no salt added
- 1 C almond milk unsweetened
- 1/2 C almond flour
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 TBSP arrowroot starch
- Heat coconut oil in medium saucepan over medium heat
- Add diced onion, stir and cook 2-3 minutes until onions are soft
- Add chopped mushrooms to pan, stir and cook an additional 2-3 minutes until soft
- Add vegetable stock and seasonings, stir to combine well and bring to a simmer
- Meanwhile, combine nut milk, arrowroot and flour.
- Stir milk/flour mixture to simmering soup, stir to thoroughly combine and heat through. Soup will thicken as it cooks.
- Scoop out about 1/2 of chopped vegetables and set aside
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth, add back the reserved mushroom/onion mixture
- Replace reserved veggies and heat through
- Alternatively, you can allow soup to cool somewhat, then transfer to a food processor or blender. Just be careful, hot liquids in a blender can burn.
- This is a direct replacement for 2 cans of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- To eat from the bowl, add 2 cups of water or nut milk, heat through and serve
- Substitute the mushrooms for celery, asparagus, chicken, etc. Healthy cream of anything soup.
- Nutrition values are for 1/2 of the recipe (or the equivalent of 1 can of soup).
This delish recipe is found on page 35 of my recently published cookbook, Healthy Holidays with the Unconventional Foodie. It is one of 52 amazing, full-color recipes that you are sure to LOVE! You can pick up the book HERE.
Don’t miss out on all the yummy goodness found in Healthy Holidays with the Unconventional Foodie cookbook! After all,…EVERY day is a holiday!
Also, make sure you join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.