Healthy Chicken Broth
We absolutely LOVE soup, so I have been making this healthy chicken broth as my base for years! However, lately, I’ve been researching about the method to make bone broth, and I’m going to switch to making that next, but for now, this is a great place to start!
Chicken broth, and for that matter, beef, vegetable, and pretty much any other broth is so easy to make and costs so much less than buying cans or boxes of it. Plus, I also have the benefit of knowing EXACTLY what ingredients I’m using. I mean really, have you ever looked at the ingredient list and nutrition label of commercially available stocks? Very high sodium levels, and even if you get the low-sodium, organic versions, there’s always stuff in there as preservatives and such.
Having my own broth in the freezer is WAYYYY healthier and more economical too, so it’s a total win-win!
Healthy Chicken Broth
- 1 whole organic chicken
- 4 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 large onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- fresh parsley
- fresh thyme
- 7 qt water more if needed
- Cut celery and carrots in 3 or four pieces (leave skins and leaves on). Cut garlic head in half (no need to peel). Quarter onion (no need to peel). Add to large pot.
- Rinse chicken and add to pot. Cover with water leaving about 1 inch head space at top of pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and veggies. Place cheesecloth in colander over a large bowl and ladle/pour broth through cheesecloth.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Skim hardened fat off top and then use immediately.
- To freeze, pour in to quart mason jars, leaving 1 inch of head space, label and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Alternatively you can can using a pressure canner.
I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.
Here's to your health!
PS: If you’re totally frustrated with the effects of your efforts to create and maintain a healthier diet and lifestyle,I feel ya for sure, let’s chat! What if just one discussion could change your life? I love to share what I know and help as many people as possible. You can contact me here: LET’S CHAT!
PSS: Ready for a jump start to your healthier diet and lifestyle? CLICK HERE to join the club!