A frequent request from my Richie is for me to whip up a batch of applesauce. It’s one of his favorite things, and I’m always happy to comply, because, not only is this cinnamon applesauce delicious, it is also super healthy as well!
Unlike traditional applesauce, the inclusion of the peels in this recipe, ups the ante in the nutritional value! Win Win!!!
You know that old saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”? As it turns out, it’s actually pretty spot on. Apples have a very high anti-oxidant level, which means they are also very anti-inflammatory. They are also one of the highest fiber content fruits. All of these amazing benefits of apples make them an ideal fruit to add to your healthy eating lifestyle.
The addition of cinnamon to this delicious recipe, provides a double whammy of anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory punch!
Foods that are high in anti-oxidants and fiber have been shown to reduce the risks of heart disease, cancer, inflammatory bowel disorders, lower cholesterol and promote weight loss.
Applesauce, in addition to being a delicious side dish or a great topper for your nut butter whole grain toast, can also be used in recipes as a replacement for sugar and oil. It is one of my absolute favorite things to use. Next time you bake a cake, substitute the oil for applesauce. Healthy, and delicious!
- 5 pounds organic apples cored and sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- kosher salt dash
- 1/2 C water
- Core and slice apples
- Place all the peels in food processor (or blender) and process until smooth (adding 1/4 cup of water may help with this). Add peel mixture to large saucepan, add water, salt and cinnamon and stir to combine
- Add sliced apples.
- Cover and set over medium heat until the pulp mixture begins to simmer. Lower heat to medium low and cook until apples are soft. Use a whisk to stir the apples to remove all the big chunks
- Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
What’s your favorite way to use applesauce? I sure hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and would love to hear what you think about it, so don’t be shy, let me know in the comments!
Also, make sure you share it with all your friends and join our community so you don’t miss any of my other great recipes, events and offers.
Here's to your health!
PS: If you’re totally frustrated with the effects of your efforts to create and maintain a healthier diet and lifestyle,I feel ya for sure, let’s chat! What if just one discussion could change your life? I love to share what I know and help as many people as possible. You can contact me here: LET’S CHAT!
PSS: Ready for a jump start to your healthier diet and lifestyle? CLICK HERE to join the club!